Well, winter is most definitely here, and I haven’t felt any serious effects of seasonal depression yet! 🙂 I think that’s partly due to the fact that I’m really trying to APPRECIATE this time of year (besides the fact that I can’t take any decent photos). I’m also focusing on the fact that the days will start getting LONGER in less than a month, and I’ve been spending my evenings knitting guilt-free (instead of having to do yhard work).
I’m only knitting a few Christmas gifts this year (some of which I knit earlier in the year – woo hoo!), so I’m still really just knitting for myself (which was one of my New Year’s resolutions this past year – one of the FEW I’ve kept!). And I’ve been drawn to super-quick knits lately. (I have plans for a stripey raglan sweater, but I’m still working out a few details, and I didn’t want to get too far into something when inspiration finally strikes!). I finished each of these in one sitting.
First up are Ann Budd’s Fingerless Mitts from one of my most favorite pattern books, Weekend Knitting. I knit them up in some Berroco Ultra Alpaca and I sized down the needles to size 6 because I wanted them to be really dense and warm. For fingerless mitts, are SURPRISINGLY warm! And such a quick knit. I did still manage to screw them up though… (of course!).
The mitts are knit sideways and shaped with short rows. I had done short rows before, and they’re explained in the pattern, but at first I was not wrapping my yarn over after the turn (as shown in the photo below) but instead I was just moving the yarn to the back.
Then, in the next row, I was knitting 2 stitches together (like the book said) – so I was essentially performing a decrease. I knit up half the first mitt before I realized I had 3 fewer stitches than I started with. Doh! I then realized that I was supposed to create a yo with the wrap and then knit THAT stitch with the other one. !!!! Once I realized my mistake, I decided to just forge ahead and continue knitting with the fewer stitches.
(Had I been thinking, I could have knit the second one with 3 fewer stitches cast on, so it would match. But I wasn’t. So I didn’t. But they’re fine. Can’t hardly tell. )
THEN! Because I like walking around in mis-matched knits (not really), I knit up a Nakiska in some Cascade 220. I sized the needles down here, too, to size 7, but I probably could have gone down a few more sizes. This is the least incriminating photo I have of me wearing it (it really is huge – I could have omitted one big cable).
I considered frogging it, but I didn’t. I kept wearing it on our nightly walks, until I realized it wasn’t really all that warm. It was so loosely knit that wind was blowing through and chilling my ears. So I decided to do what T has wanted me to do with one of his hats for a while now — I lined it with fleece!!!
I went to Jo-Ann and picked up some fleece remnants and embroidery thread, then I sat down and watched this video and learned how to blanket stitch. It’s really quite simple once you get going, and now my little Nakiska fits perfectly and is super warm. And you can barely see the fleece from the front side!
I have another FO to show off, but I’m waiting for daylight to get some decent pics. Hopefully I can post tomorrow.