I tried on my stripey raglan sweater at my mom’s house over Christmas, and as I was standing there in front of her full-length mirror (something we lack in our house), the Radiohead song “Just” started going through my head over, and over, and over.
You do it to yourself, you do
And that’s what really hurts
You do it to yourself, just you
You and no one else
You do it to yourself
You do it to yourself
See, I was so obsessed with getting my sweater done by December 31st (um, today!!!) (or even earlier) that I didn’t take the time to make sure it would fit right, even when I realized I was knitting at a bigger gauge than I thought I would be (I’m using Cascade 220 with size 7’s and I always thought I got 5.5 sts/in, but apparently I only got 5). Looking back, I know I should have frogged back and re-knit using the new measurements with the accurate gauge, but I was blinded by the deadline (I really wanted to finish it in 1 month) and I really, really, really wanted to wear it in Chicago.
I was about here when I realized my mistake:
And I just kept knitting. (We’ll ignore the fact that it took me THAT LONG to even measure in the first place. Whatever. Lesson learned. MOVE ON.)
I figured I could make up for the looser gauge by not picking up as many stitches under the arms and decreasing more often on the sleeves, thus making the sleeves tighter, but I really wasn’t sure what to do about the body.
First I thought I’d do a few more decrease rows for the waist shaping, to bring it in a bit more, but I wasn’t too pleased with the results. It was okay, but not as snug as I had originally wanted.
THEN I figured I could do what I did on the Busted Root and seam up the sides with yarn, taking in an inch or so on either side…
(I don’t think I ever talked about this little trick — I learned it in a finishing class and it is amazing for bringing in the sides of garments that is just a tad too wide (this may still leave problems if the underarms are too low, so it’s not a cure-all). As you can see from the photos, though, it’s really easy. You just thread a needle with yarn, then sew up every 2 stitches on each side, pull it tight, and voila! A totally hidden seam and a tighter fighting garment.)
Anyway! The problem with doing BOTH of these techniques combined was that the tummy was already tighter than the top, and then with all that cinching on the sides, I was left with a bit of a mess.
So, I frogged it.
Once I started ripping, it actually went quite quickly. And I don’t feel too bad, because I know that had I followed directions, I TECHNICALLY could have finished this in a month, and I’d rather have something that fits me right than something that I made “on time.” I’m loving the sweater more than ever, and I’m even more excited to finish. And now, I’m a
little lot more lax on the deadline.
See you in the New Year!