I didn’t think I could do it, but Sea Baby is done (minus the leggings and hat, of course! (I didn’t like the leggings and I didn’t have enough yarn for the hat… still kinda bummed about that)). I basically started this last Saturday and gave myself a day to complete each of the 6 pieces (2 fronts, back, sleeves, i-cords, and finishing). I wasn’t originally planning on bringing it to my monthly Stitch ‘n Bitch on Wednesday, either, because the future recipient would be there, but I quickly realized it wasn’t going to get done if I didn’t bring it! So I just told her the sleeves were socks (I’m pretty sure she knew I was lying).
Anyway, so even with all that planning, it took WAY longer to knit up (and sew up!) than I had anticipated, and I was sewing it up madly after breakfast this morning and still blocking it at 11:30 (the shower was at 1). I don’t know if I’ll ever knit something in such a small gauge for a baby again, but I would definitely try to modify the pattern with a bulkier yarn. It’s too cute all cinched up. (The kimono-style sweater is especially fitting for this baby, since her papa is half-Japanese.)
This was my first chance to try out some finishing skills I learned in a class last year. I realized recently that I actually like sewing pieces together (I take after my grandmother that way), it just takes a little practice, and patience, to get it to look crisp. While I’m definitely pleased with these results, I think it might have gone faster if I hadn’t slipped every stitch at the end of the front pieces. I thought this would make it easier to sew up, but for some reason all those loose stitches at the ends just made everything more difficult, and I found it hard to sew evenly down the same row (I was also watching a movie while I was doing this…). Still, I don’t think they turned out half bad.
I was also a bit worried about the garter stitch edges because they kept curling up, but I steam blocked it this morning, and it really made a difference. It finally lays flat now, and it just makes the whole thing look FINISHED.
Once it was all put together, I really couldn’t believe that I had made this. It was one of those things where it just came together at the last minute, and it surprised even me that it turned out so cute. I was almost too attached to the thing to give it away at the shower this afternoon, but I gave it to a knitter (my grandmother told me years ago never to knit for non-knitters) and I think it will look adorable on her baby.
There was talk at the shower that the little one might be brought home from the hospital in this sweater, and while I don’t reasonably expect that to happen, I do hope that she has a chance to wear it one or two times, and know that she is loved.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Pattern: Sea Baby by Perl Grey
Yarn: Fleece Artist :: Sea Wool (Colourway: Dublin Bay)
Yardage: 1 skein