Because of all the snowfall this past Christmas, I postponed my trip back to Chicago and we also postponed our trip over to Sequim (pronounced Sk-wim) to see T’s p’s. So that meant I had nearly 2 weeks of lounging at home, knitting and …. well, doing little else, really. And even though I had a few minor fits where I felt like we really should have been outside doing something, I am also really thankful I had that time to just unwind and chill out.
I did give myself one goal, though: I wanted to knit fingerless gloves for me, T, and his parents. I didn’t stress about it, but I also knew I needed to feel a little bit productive. I found the (free!) Kolenya pattern right away and fell in love, but I wanted them to MATCH each other (because I’m anal like that). I consulted for a bit with Stacey (i.e., the Queen of Noro) and basically realized that if I wanted to make them match, I’d have to do it myself.
For the first pair I unwound the skein of yarn (Noro Kureyon), cut out each color section, then cut each section in half, and then knit up the gloves. That was kind of a lot of work, though, and I think I sacrificed a lot of the subtleties between color changes on this one.
The next skein had a lot more color repeats, and I realized that the skein was essentially the same from the outside in as it was from the inside out. So I cut it once in the middle and had two similar lengths of yarn. These knit up a lot faster with fewer ends to weave in.
I also knit up a pair using Plymouth Boku. That ball striped MUCH more often, so I didn’t even unwind it first. I just knit up one, then made sure to start at the same spot in the color repeats for the second one. (I knit these smaller using the mods listed here.)
I purposely knit my pair last, so I wouldn’t just stop knitting once mine were done! 🙂 (These were also knit smaller using these mods.)
These are so much fun I’ve already bought a couple more skeins of Noro to make more!